find attorneys find lawyers professional lawyers find attorneys find lawyers professional lawyers find attorneys find lawyers professional lawyers find attorneys find lawyers professional lawyers find attorneys find lkkh
find a lawyer - criminal lawyer business attorney new york lawyer immigration lawyer disability lawyer find a lawyer dui lawyer divorce lawyer bankruptcy attorney family lawyer trademark lawyer criminal lawyer personal injury lawyer criminal defense lawyer tax lawyer
.Immigration Law Resources
What is Immgration Law
FAQs For Immigration visa
Where is my application?
Immgration Lawyers
.Criminal Law Resources
What is Criminal Law
FAQs Criminal Law
About Bail
Criminal justice
Criminal Lawyers
.Bankruptcy Law Resources
What is Bankruptcy Law
FAQ About Bankruptcy
Bankruptcy Process
Facts & Statistics
Bankruptcy Lawyers
.Labor Law Resources
What is Labor Law 
Employees Rights  
Federal Labor Law
Law For Wages Payed
Labor Lawyers 
.Employment Law Resources
What is Employment Law  
Discrimination Law
FAQs For H1B
Employer V/S Employee
Employment Lawyers
.Real Estate Law Resources
What is Real Estate Law
Real Estate Related Terms
Landlord and Tenant Law
Mortgage Law
Real Estate Lawyers
.Personal Injury Law Links
What is Personal Injury 
Establishing Your Claim 
Tips in filing lawsuit 
FAQs Personal Injury
Personal Injury Lawyers
.Business Law Resources
What is Business Law
Choose Type Of Business
Law That May Affect You
Legal Requirements
Business Lawyers
.Divorce Law Resources
What is Divorce Law
Is Divorce For You
Divorce Process
Save Cost On Divorce
Divorce Lawyers




Legal Requirements For Your Business Organization


There are federal, state, local and, in some cases, regional requirements that may apply to your business. You're wise to thoroughly research this issue before starting your business, not only because you're a good citizen who wants to be in compliance but also because you want to prevent any costly surprises that might impact you adversely now or in the near future. Sometimes what you don't know can hurt you and your wallet.

Federal Requirements
At the federal level, your business will most likely need a license or permit if you're engaged in one of the following: dispensing investment advice; providing transportation services such as a trucking company; preparing food products; producing drugs; manufacturing tobacco, alcohol or firearms; or if you own a radio or TV station. If you're involved in any of the activities mentioned above, you can obtain government requirements by contacting the appropriate federal agency such as the securities and exchange commission, the interstate commerce commission and so on. Your trade or professional association should be able to assist you in determining if there are any federal agencies that have oversight for your type of business. You can obtain contact information for a trade or professional association by examining the Encyclopedia of Associations at your local library.

Also at the federal level are two tax registrations. Form SS-4 is used to apply for an employer identification number. The only businesses that don't need this number are sole proprietors with no employees. Otherwise, this number is required for reporting withholding taxes. Unless you're a sole proprietor with no employees, you can't report withholding under your personal social security number. The second registration applies only to those businesses that want "S" corporation status. To do so, fill out and send Form 2553 to the IRS.

If you employ workers, you must ensure that they fill out I-9 and W-4 forms. The former proves an employee's citizenship, and the latter provides necessary withholding information on the employee.

State Requirements
States license professionals such as CPAs, attorneys, nurses, doctors, dentists, architects, engineers and others.

If your state collects state income tax, you'll have to file an application to obtain a withholding number similar to filing for a federal identification number. You can obtain an application from your state's department of revenue or treasury department.

If you're selling a product, you'll also need a sales tax number to use in reporting the sales tax collected and remitted to the state. This form can also be obtained from your state's department of revenue or treasury department.

If you're an employer, you'll have to register with your state's department of labor to obtain a number to use in reporting unemployment compensation paid into an account on behalf of employees for possible compensation in the event of job loss. You'll also need to make sure they complete a state income tax withholding form similar to the W-4 form for federal withholding.

Many states require a basic business license for those who operate a business, even if it operates out of a home rather than a commercial location, and certain types of businesses may need special licensing as well if they serve food or alcohol, sell gasoline or operate a swimming pool, nursing home and so on.

Local Requirements
Local governments may impose licensing or permit requirements for businesses that impact community health or the environment. They may also require that your business comply with building codes and zoning ordinances. It may also be necessary for you to pay local property taxes.

Still puzzled? Check with any qualified lawyer from our website, your local Small Business Development Center, a local CPA who works with start-up businesses or the local office of one of the national payroll companies that provide help to start-up companies with one or more employees.









Popular Law Links - Attorney Legal Services

Criminal Lawyer Injury Lawyer Personal Injury Lawyer Attorney Legal Services
Lemon law Tax Attorney - Tax Lawyer Bankruptcy Attorney Criminal Defense Attorney Family Law Labor Employment Attorney New Jersey Lawyer California Lawyer Megans Law Business Attorney Civil Right Attorney Texas Lawyer Real Estate Attorney Immigration Attorney Power Of Attorney Insurance Attorney California Attorney Criminal Defense Lawyer Immigration Lawyer Labor Law New York Lawyer Dui Lawyer Vioxx Lawyer Real Estate Law Florida Lawyer Injury Law Firm Family Lawyer Find A Lawyer Trademark Lawyer New Bankruptcy Law Bankruptcy Lawyer Michigan Lawyer Divorce Lawyer Employment Law


Alabama Lawyers
Alaska Attorney
Arizona Law Firms
Arkansas Lawyers
California Attorney
Colorado Law Firms
Connecticut Lawyers
District Of Columbia - DC
Delaware Attorney
Florida Law Firms
Georgia Lawyers
Hawaii Attorney
Idaho Law Firms
Illinois Lawyers
Iowa Attorney
Indiana Law Firms
Kansas Lawyers
Kentucky Attorney
Louisiana Law Firms
Maine Lawyers
Maryland Attorney
Massachusetts Law Firms
Michigan Lawyers
Minnesota Attorney
Mississippi Law Firms
Missouri Lawyers
Montana Attorney
Nebraska Law Firms
Nevada Lawyers
New Hampshire Attorney
New Jersey Law Firms
New Mexico Lawyers
New York Attorney
North Carolina Law Firms
North Dakota Lawyers
Ohio Attorney
Oklahoma Law Firms
Oregon Lawyers
Pennsylvania Attorney
Rhode Island Law Firms
South Carolina Lawyers
South Dakota Attorney
Tennessee Law Firms
Texas Lawyers
Utah Attorney
Vermont Law Firms
Virginia Lawyers
Washington Attorney
West Virginia Law Firms
Wisconsin Lawyers
Wyoming Attorney
Washington DC Law Firms


Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. Your access to and use of this website is subject to additional terms and condititons. All contents, including text, graphics, images & information available on or through this Web site are for general informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Never disregard professional legal advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you read on this website. You are encouraged to consult your attorney with regard to information contained on or through this Web site. Click here to read further.... Copyright 2002 FIND-ATTORNEYS.COM All rights reserved.


Site Designed & Maintained by Advance Infotech Inc.